Saturday, July 27, 2013

Tag Blanket

Time for the final installment of Baby Gift Month here at Craft Room Confidential.  And I must say, I saved the best for last.  {IMHO}


Craft Room Confidential

I have to admit, I was not at all familiar with the concept of tag blankets.  But with the help of Google, I think I am up to speed now.  And after my research I knew this was something I had to make for my friend and her new baby.  This Dr. Seuss fabric is perfect for this project and along with the colorful ribbons it just screams hold me and play with me!  What baby could resist this?  I chose to use polar fleece for the back side to give it a nice soft touch.  {I had several scraps to choose from in my stash but I liked the blue best.}

Craft Room Confidential

Did I mention how easy this was to make?  Here, let me tell you all about it:
  • Cut fabric into 4 squares measuring 8" x 8".
  • Sew two squares together and press seam open.  Then repeat with remaining two squares.
  • Sew those two pieces together, matching center seams, and press seam open.
  • Using your newly created larger square as a pattern, cut out your backing material.
  • Grab your ribbon stash and start selecting your ribbon.  I used 20 different ribbons cut to 4" - 5" lengths.  You can use more or less.  If possible, try to get a variety of textures and widths.
Craft Room Confidential
  • With your pieced square face up, pin your ribbons around the edge.  I just eyeballed it but feel free to measure if that's your thing.
Craft Room Confidential
  • Sew your ribbons onto the fabric square with a 1/4" seam allowance.  I suppose that this step could be optional but I chose to do it because I wanted to be sure the ribbons would be securely attached.
  • Place your backing material on top of your ribbon/pieced square, right sides together.  {Think ribbon sandwich.}  Pin.
Craft Room Confidential
  • Sew around entire square with a 1/2" seam allowance, leaving a 4" opening on one side.
  • Clip corners and turn right side out through the opening.  Press.
  • Topstitch around outside of square, making sure to sew the opening closed.
  • Stitch in the ditch of the pieced square.  This step is optional as well.
Craft Room Confidential
  • Give to a baby.
I just love how this came out.  I think the fun different colored ribbons is my favorite part.  Or maybe the awesome Dr. Seuss fabric is.  I just can't decide.

Craft Room Confidential

I sure hope the baby loves it.  {But really, how can she not.}

Craft Room Confidential

I hope you enjoyed Baby Gift Month.  Here are the other gifts featured in case you missed them:

I am sharing this project at my favorite parties.

4 comments:

  1. This is so cute. I might have to make one for my own little one but definitely a great gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should definitely make one for your own little one. Thanks for the sweet comment Stephanie.

      Delete