Saturday, September 8, 2012

Outdoor Pillows

As the summer winds down, I have one last project for my patio.  



One day driving around somewhere {I think it was Independence, IA} I saw someone had a pillow on their andirondack chair.  I thought that looked really cool and wanted one.  

I had some pillows in my guest room that I didn't want anymore so I could use them for this project.  I originally was going to do one pillow but I couldn't decide which fabric I liked better so I decided to make two.



I made these envelope style {I feel like there is a different name for these but for the life of me I cannot think of it.  So I'm calling them envelope style.}  There are plenty of instructions on the internet to help you make these but I went from my memory.  This style pillow case was one of my first 4-H projects {a long time ago.}



Here's how I did it for my 17" pillows:

From a 1/2 yard of fabric {I used outdoor canvas} cut the following:
  • 18" x 18" (piece A)
  • 13" x 18"  (piece B)
  • 11 1/4 x 18" (piece C)
Piece B - On one long edge fold under 1/4".  Press.  Fold under another 1/4".  Press.  Sew close to edge.

Piece C - On one long edge fold under 1/4".  Press.  Fold under another 1".  Press.  Sew close to edge.

With right sides together, match raw edges of piece A and piece C.  Pin.

On the opposite end, with right sides together, match raw edges of piece A and piece B.  Pin.  

Sew together with a 1/2" seam.  Clip corners.  Turn inside out.  

Insert pillow form and enjoy your new pillow!  {Please let me know if something doesn't make sense in these instructions.  I'm not the best at explaining things.  Just ask the new employee I'm training at work.}


Take a look at these other projects I made for my patio:
Wooden Floor Mat
Painted Tiered Planter


I will be sharing this tutorial at these great parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment